Butterfly Pork Chops
with Sweet Potato Pancakes
This is a lovely dish as the pork loin has the appearance of a heart shape, even though it is a bit difficult to distinguish in this picture. I used 3 little sweet potato pancakes to put the pork on.
Stuff You Need;
For Pork Steaks
½ lb of Pork Loin Roast
for breading ;
Oil for Saute (Olive or good quality oil)
For Apple Topping ,
1 large Granny Smith Apple ( or tart )
2 Tablsp. Butter
1 Tblsp. Brown sugar
1 Vanilla bean slit lengthwise
1 teasp. Cinnamon
¼ cup rum or brandy
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Dried cranberries (craisins)
Sweet Potato Pancakes
1 sweet potato large sized
oil for frying
6 strips-Yellow squash
6 strips- Carrot , cut into strips
6 Green beans
Lets Cook It;
1. Slice the pork tenderloin ¼ down but not all the way through.
Make another slice ¼ inch but this time go all the way through.
Now you can open up the slices like a book and lay it flat. It should look a bit like a heart. Make 2 of these steaks.
2. Set up the Breading items;
On 3 little plates separate the flour , the Panko (or bread crumbs) and the beaten egg.
3. Dredge one of the Pork steaks in the flour, then the egg and then the panko pressing in the crumbs to give it a good coating. Place it on a Plate. Repeat the process with the other steak. Let the steaks rest for a minute or chill if you are going to cook them in a couple hours.
4. Get the topping ingredients together.
Slice the apples and place in a bowl, toss with a bit of lemon juice to keep them from browning. Gather and pre-measure the brown sugar, lemon juice, nuts, vanilla bean, rum or brandy, and the butter for sautéing.
5. Scrap the seeds of vanilla bean into the ¼ cup brandy. ( they will stick to the knife but just push the clump off the knife with the bean pod into the brandy.
Sweet Potato Pancakes
these of course are optional
1. Microwave or bake the Sweet Potato till half way cooked approximately. The time will vary but you do not need to be exact. This can be done a day ahead.
2. When the potato cools, shred on the larger holes of a grater into a bowl.
3. Add the egg and salt and mix. Set the bowl aside till ready to cook
4. Heat a 12 or so inch skillet, add the oil and divide the mixture into 6 pancakes , fry till brown on one side flip and fry for a few extra minutes. Place 3 pancakes in a triangle on the center of two serving plates , and place in a warm oven.
Simmer the vegetables in water for 10 minutes and drain, and let sit in the pot to keep warm.
Cooking the Pork Steaks
5. Cook the Pork steaks in a skillet. And place on two plates keeping them warm in the oven. Clean out the skillet and add the butter, let it start to melt and then add the apples and the cinnamon.
6. Cook until the apples are almost tender then add the brown sugar and nuts, toss and cook till the sugar mixes well.
7. Add the rum or brandy and cook a few minutes until you can smell the aromas well.
8. Pour the apple mixture over the Pork steaks, top with the dried cranberries and a mint sprig if you want, place the vegetables on the plate and serve. Let your darling smell that apple-vanilla-cinnamon aroma and watch the senses start to awaken!