*Note, I used small potatoes so I could get nice quarter size slices.
2. Brown the stew meat in a bit of olive oil with some salt and pepper.
3. For this dish I am cooking the vegetables separate, because I want them to stay intact and not fall apart. This also keeps their individual flavor defined. I ladled out some of the stock into the vegetables and then baked them for 30 minutes or till they were tender.
4. Boil the potatoes in some of the stock also till they were just barely tender. I didn't want the skin to break, and the potatoes to mush or fall apart.
5. The rest of the onion I sliced and fried in butter on medium heat till nice and browned . Olive oil works nice also.
Make the Spaetzle.
6. To serve I placed some meat, potatoes, vegetables, and spaetzle in the soup bowl and then ladle some of the stock over it.
Top with some of the fried onions, parsley and chives.
E-Mail The Webmaster firstname.lastname@example.org
© 1998-04The Kitchen Project
Last updated April 12, 2010