Beef Pot Roast Braised in Beer
1.5 to 2 lb Chuck Roast , other cuts may be used.
season salt or salt and pepper
1 dark beer
1 large or 2 medium onions cut in Quarters
3 carrots cut in 2 inch chunks
4 stalks celery cut in 2 inch chunks
1 red bell pepper cut in 2 inch chunks
1 green bell pepper cut in 2 inch chunks
6 firm small potatoes, like Yukon Gold, or red skin
2 tablespoon paprika (Hungarian preferred)
1 tablespoon Garlic powder
2 bay leaves
12 pepper corns
1. Season the roast with salt and pepper and brown in a skillet or Dutch oven with a little vegetable oil.
2. If you are going to cook it in a crock pot transfer now. Deglaze the skillet with a little beer and add.
3. Add the beer to the crock pot after you transfer the roast.
4. Add the Spices.
5. Add the vegetables, bring to a simmer in the Dutch oven or turn the crock pot on high.
6. Add the Potatoes and onion quarters. SImmer for 3 to 6 hours until the roast reaches 200 degrees F. You can also test it by sticking a fork into it. lift it and if it falls easily off the fork it is done.
7. Dish a nice slice of the roast in a bowl, and some of the vegetables. I serve this in a bowl with the juice,
and put the horseradish on the side of the bowl.