1 lb. round steak, cut thin (not more than 1/3 inch thick)
1. Cut the steak into pieces about 2" by 4". Pound the strips with a mallet or meat tenderizing tool until very thin and pliable; they will also be a little larger.
2. Saute bacon and onions till onions are translucent.
3. Place crosswise on each strip: 1 TB of bacon pieces, about 1 TB. chopped onion; and 1 strip of dill pickle.
4. Roll the strips, tying them with string or securing them with toothpicks.
5. Dredge them in flour.
7. Add liquid (beef stock and a little red wine, or just water) to a depth of about 1/2 inch in skillet.
8. Cover the pan and simmer, adding liquid as needed. Cook them for about 1 hour, or until the Rouladen are tender.
9. Remove the rolls to a heated plate.
10. Thicken the gravy with flour or cornstarch. Sour cream or yogurt may be added. Rouladen are good served with Spaetzels, noodles, or mashed potatoes.