Hefezopf and Hefekranz
1 /2 cup Sliced or slivered almonds
for egg wash, take 1 egg and beat with 1 tablespoon water.
1. Dissolve yeast in water and sugar. Stir well and allow to rise in a warm place.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast mix, sugar, butter, eggs and raisins.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight or let it raise till double in volume..
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
6. Lay the logs next to each other Braid the logs. Tuck in the ends under the loaf.
7.Place loaves on baking sheet with plenty of room to rise.
8. Beat one egg with 1 tablespoons water and brush the loaves with this. top with sliced almonds or Hagelzucker.
9. Bake about 30 minutes till nicely browned. take out and lift up the loaf and tap the bottom crust. If it has a nice hollow sound it is done.
Hagelzucher literaly means ...Hail sugar.
Legend has it that it is called "Hagelzucker" because during a thunderstorm with small hail,sugar that was left near a window got wet . and clumped together in a sheet.
Step 1, Make Hagelzucker