oven about 325 degrees F
for 2 strudels
about 14 sheets of phyllo dough
Filling for Strudel:
1 C. butter, (2 sticks) melted and set aside to cool
4 medium size cooking apples (about 1 ¼ pounds)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
1 C. walnuts, chopped finely
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 Tablespoons butter
3 / 4 C. fine dry bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons dark seedless raisins
3 Tablespoons currants also to make the filling richer add 1 cup of applesauce In a pinch just use a can of apple pie filling. Add lemon peel though.
For Lower Calories
Use olive oil sparingly. I used about 1/4 cup
You can sweeten the apples with full or partially with stevia or another sugar substitute.
Gather your ingredients to make the filling
1. Wash, core, and pare apples. Cut into slices about 1/8 in. thick and put into bowl with Vanilla extract and 2 Tablespoons brown sugar. Toss lightly to coat slices evenly. Set aside for at least 30 min., tossing occasionally.
2. Mix together white sugar, Cinnamon and Allspice. Blend in 2 Tbs. brown sugar and set this mixture aside.
3. optional you can blend in 1 cup of applesauce to make the filling richer.
3. Chop walnuts and set aside. Grate Lemon peel and set aside. Melt 2 Tbs. butter in skillet and toss dry bread crumbs in butter until thoroughly coated.
Making the Strudel:
1. Unroll the Phyllo (filo) sheets, Keep the filo sheets covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to keep them from drying out while working other steps.
2. You can brush the sheets with a little butter or olive oil or even leave the oil and butter out to make it lighter. I used 7 sheets for each strudel.
3.Spread half of the apple filling on the top, leaving 1 inch Butter or olive oil the top for a richer looking crust. Make another strudel with the other 7 sheets of dough.
4.Bake in a 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Slice and serve with whipped cream (Schlagsahne) or vanilla ice cream.