Riesling with Sparkling wine
For 2 drinks:
For a Punch Bowl or pitcher:
Simple syrup recipe:
1. Gather your ingredients: make the simple syrup, and some lemon twists. Chill the champagne or sparkling white wine. Also traditionally a Mosel Riesling from the Mosel region of Germany. I am using a cocktail shaker because I am not going to make a pitcher or punch bowl full. I also like to blend and really chill down the ingredients.
2, Make some lemon wists by peeling the yellow skin of a washed lemon. Make sure you don't get the white pith, just the peel. Wrap them around around stick, like a wooden spoon or anything similar. In 5 minutes they will take on the shape.
3. Lemon balm mint is traditional but I am using just a spearmint.
4. I used a glass that was about 4 oz. or 1/2 cup. Pour 2 glasses of the Riesling in the shaker for 2 drinks over some washed ice. Why wash the ice? Because it does absorb flavors from the freezer.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of simple syrup. Add the juice of one lemon, 1/2 lemon per drink.
7. Pour the wine into the glasses with the twist hanging over the edge. Some say this is the traditional "duck" position.