Pears and Dumplings
For the Pears and Sauce:
2. You can use FRESH white bread or wheat bread and grind in a food processor for a few seconds to make a fine crumb. If you grind too long you'll get powder.
3. Whip the egg whites and butter till frothy.
4. Add the half cup of bread crumbs. Keep adding crumbs until you get a light dough. Just enough so a dumpling holds its shape.
5. It is good to do a test dumpling and see that it holds together. Turn the water down to a simmer and cook one dumpling. Dip your spoon in the water then make a nice tight ball the size of a marble. If your test goes well, drop in the dumplings. Let the dumplings simmer for about 4 minutes. Remove with a skimmer or slotted spoon to a plate. I don't over crowd the pot, I did half the batter at one time.
6. For the Pears and Sauce
7. Add the sugar, salt, lemon juice, vanilla bean to the water and bring to a simmer. Cook pears for about 5 minutes until they are tender.
8. Place half of a sliced pear on a plate, 4 dumplings and divide the sauce for 4 servings approx. 1/2 cup sauce.