1. I had some leftover wonderful German Rye Bread and didn't want to waste it so I decided to make Semmelknödel or bread dumplings. Next we will soak the bread, chop the veg and get them ready, and saute. Any kind of savory bread will work. Break the bread up and soak it in milk or stock for at least 15 minutes.
2. While the bread is soaking saute the veg in butter or olive oil, for 2 minutes on medium heat. Add the herbs and cook for another minute.
3. Squeeze most of he milk or stock out of the bread and place in a large bowl. Mix in the eggs. Add some bread crumbs if needed so you can form a nice ball.
4. Heat a pan with 6 or 8 cups of boiling water or stock. I use a little chicken boullion. Then I try one ball as a test to see if it holds together as it cooks.After the dumpling floats I let it cook for another minute, then fish it out with a slotted spoon or skimmer.
5. You can make large or small ones. The larger ones of course take a bit longer to cook. Serve 2 large or 3 or 4 small ones, they go perfect with a roast, like this Pork Tenderloin Sauerbraten