Swabian Potato Salad
2 lbs waxy potatoes (or 1 kilo) like red skinned or Yukon
1/2 cup finely chopped onion or onion juice
1/2 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon Dusseldorf or Dijon mustard
1/2 cup sunflower or olive oil
6 tablespoons vinegar such as white wine or champagne
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Gather your ingredients. You can use chicken or vegetable broth. Several good vinegars are white wine, champagne or sherry. A very popular oil in Germany is sunflower oil. It is very mild. Extra virgin olive oil is a choice also. Alfred Walterspiel used onion juice, probably to keep the salad clean looking. I don't mind the onion chunks so I just diced them and added. I also made a batch with onion juice, so I used a small bullet food processor.
2. Drain and let the potatoes cool for 20 minutes. Peel and slice the potatoes and carefully put them into a stainless bowl so as not to break. Add the salt and pepper,
3. Then add the broth that has been mixed with the mustard. Let this sit for 30 minutes while you do something else. Next add the parsley-chive mix and the oil that has been mixed with vinegar.
4. Toss lightly and serve or chill. It is good slightly warm or chilled. a scoop looks nice on a lettuce leaf , garnished with a sprig of parsley and a red radish to tomato for color.
5. This salad makes a nice base for a green salad. place the potato salad on the plate and top with some greens, and fresh chopped vegetables, with a little vinaigrette.