Rhubarb Kuchen with
Rhubarb sauce (or rhubarb-strawberry sauce)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and flour a 10 or 12 inch spring-form pan. You can of course use a rectangular baking dish.
1. Cut the Rhubarb into small half-moon slices about 1/4 inch thick
2. Gather your remaining ingredients and measure out into a bowls. I find this easier and I don't forget somethingI have butter softening in the large green mixing bowl. if butter is hard you cut into slices and put into the bowl it will soften fast.
3. I have butter softening in the large green mixing bowl. if butter is hard you cut into slices and put into the bowl it will soften fast.
4. Add the vanilla and egg. Fold in the flour and baking powder alternatively with the sour cream and rhubarb..
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool while you make the meringue.
7. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat. Beat until the egg whites form peaks. This can be 5- 8 minutes, be patient. Spread out on top of the cake. Then to make a pretty pattern start with the rubber spatula at the side of the pan. Press the spatula up and down toward the center, then move and make another row right next to it.
8. Brown in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before releasing the spring form side.
Cut into 12 slices and serve on a bed of Rhubarb-Strawberry sauce I made earlier.