Baking Powder Streusel Kuchen
This recipe is a little unusual since is it uses finely chopped almonds in the streusel
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 can pie filling (optional)
For the topping:
1/2 cup finely chopped blanched almonds
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Cream the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and salt together. Add
2. In a small bowl, mix the milk and vegetable oil together. Set
aside. In another small bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder
3. Starting with the dry ingredients, add about one-third of the dry
ingredients and then one-third of the milk mixture, mixing after
each, until both the dry and wet ingredients are mixed with the
4. Spread the batter into a greased 8 1/2 x 13-inch pan. Cover with
the pie filling.
5. For the streusel, Mix the almonds, flour, sugar, and salt together
in a small bowl. With a pastry knife, cut the butter into the
flour mixture and combination is a coarse mixture. Sprinkle over
the top of the pie filling if desired.
6. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until done. If the topping is
browning too quickly, cover the top with foil for the last few
*Baker’s Note:* We also made this with canned peaches instead of a pie filling and it was superlative.
/Here’s how: /
/ 1 29 ounce size of sliced peaches in syrup
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg/
1. Drain the juice into a saucepan. Mix a little of the juice with
cornstarch to make a soft paste and add the paste to the rest of
the juice. Add the spices.
2. Heat until bubbly, stirring as needed. The syrup should thicken to
3. Spoon the peaches over the base batter.