(with a Variety of Different Streusals)
8 x 13 inch oven proof baking pan
Pre Heat Oven to 350 degrees F
1 recipe Kuchen dough
1/2 cup Sour cream
White sugar Streusal
Brown sugar Streusal
1. Make the Kuchen Dough and spread it out into a greased 8 x 13 baking dish or one of your choice. I am leaving some dough to use as one of the 3 Streusal toppings.
2. Gather your ingredients. flour for the Streusals are measured in the 2 bowls, and sugars in measuring cups, cinnamon and vanilla.
3. The first Streusal I made is with flour, butter, cinnamon and a few drops of vanilla extract.
4. The brown sugar Streusal is made the same way using brown instead of white.
5. Spread some sour cream on half of the kuchen and butter on the other half.
6.Sprinkle the white sugar Streusal on one third of the Kuchen. Repeat for the brown sugar one and then cut the dough into little bits and top the last third.
7. Bake the kuchen at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes till nicely browned
8. Remove from oven and cool on rack
I like to serve this with whipped cream and coffee. In our family we often had Kaffe und Kuchen in the afternoon like many Germans. It doesn't have to be Kuchen any nice pastry will do. Check out the different Streusals and see which one your family likes.
Other Streusal Options
You can add 1/2 cup chopped almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts to the Streusal.
Also you can substitute half of the flour with oatmeal.