German Cole Slaw
4 cups cabbage shredded and chopped
other vegetables :
1. This technique I learned from a German Chef who called it Gestamphe salad, or pounded german cabbage salad. You work the cabbage with the salt and it breaks down the cabbage structure and it's juices naturally. You get a better texture and it doesn't weep, causing the dressing to be diluted.
2. Here is about 4 cups of chopped cabbage. I work the cabbage with salt with my hands
3. I let the cabbage sit on the board for about 15 minutes and you can see how much water is already coming out of the cabbage.
4. You can see the texture of the cabbage had begun to break down a bit. It is still crunchy but just the right amount. I squeeze out the water and put it in a bowl to dress.
5. Assemble the dressing ingredients.
6. Add to the shredded cabbage, and mix. Add chopped onions or bell pepper if you want. You can also add a few Tablespoons of cream or sour cream