The "Original" Schwenkbraten
1 16 oz rib eye steak, it needs to be at least an inch thick
1. Mix the Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper with a pinch of mace
2. Slice the purple onion. Pound the onions lightly to get the juices running.
4. Put something on top of the steak to weight it down. So the onion juice goes into the steak. The marinating should be no longer than a day. The onions can turn bitter after that.
5. The next day bring the steaks out. In the absence of swinging arm grill I just move the steaks around. I use charcoal and some soaked wood chips. apple wood or Alder are substitutes that are similar to beechwood. The coals should be really hot. I used plenty of charcoal.
6 I made a little tray out of several thickness of aluminum foil and placed it on the fire.
7. Turn when you get a nice char on the steaks. For medium rare you are going to need probably 5-8 minutes on each side for a 1 1/2 thick rib eye.
8. I sliced the steaks so each person can get a bit of each. I place the meat on top of the onions.