Fried Cabbage with Cheese sauce
Kohl mit Käsesosse
Prep time, about 30 minutes
To save time shred the cabbage and cheese and chop onions ahead of time.
1 /2 head of cabbage
1 medium onion
1 / 3 cup olive oil
1 / 3 Cup flour
1 / 2 cup white wine
1 quart milk
1 and 1 /2 cups grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
You can use part olive or canola oil and part butter for extra flavor
1. Shred cabbage and dice the onion in 1 / 4 inch dice
2. Fry the onions in the olive oil till wilted. I add the salt and pepper
and caraway if you desire.
3. Add the cabbage and fry till tender.
4. Add the flour, blend in and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the wine and blend in till smooth.
6. Add the milk, blend in till smooth and simmer till thickened.
(at this point if it is too thick add some more milk, if too thin add a few tablespoons more flour but first mix it with twice as much water, and drizzle into the simmering cabbage, a little at a time to thicken.)
7. Add the cheese a little at a time blending in and cook till smooth.