Stuffed Bell Peppers
A great way to do home cooked meals and not heat up your kitchen, is to use a plank or
other means to cook on your BBQ. It is not just for grilling.
Pre heat BBQ to 300 degrees with the coals on one side
1 lb 93% lean ground turkey meat
1 cup diced onion, or 2 tablespoon onion flakes
1 tablespoon chopped garlic or 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 /2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoon catsup
1 / 4 cup tomato sauce or puree
2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup grated low fat cheddar or swiss cheese
1 jar of Marinara sauce, about 2 cups or 16 oz.
You can omit the sauce if you want.
4 cut and cleaned bell peppers.
3 peppers come in a bag and that is perfect for this recipe to make 5 portions.
Pre heat your bbq up to about 300 degrees. If using charcoal, I like to put a little hickory, apple or cherry wood on the coals.
1. To make the filling, brown the turkey meat and then add the onions, red pepper flakes
2. Add the water and incorporate into the mix, bring to a simmer.
Add the catsup, tomato sauce, pickle relish, Worcestershire sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
3. Place mix in a bowl and let cool for a few minutes and then add the brown rice and cheese
4. Clean the bell peppers and you can either stuff the whole pepper and top with the lid or cut the peppers in half to make 2 vessels for the mix.
5. Divide the mix into the peppers and place on a wood plank.
Cook with indirect heat on the BBQ till the peppers are firm (about 45 min to 1 hr. ) They should be
160 degrees internal temperature.
One option is to leave the rice out of the mix and serve it on the side. This way you can meet the needs of the "Carb-Free" diets and those like myself that need the carbs.