another great  Kitchen Project   |  Recipes from a German GrandmaDiscussion Board


To make about 4 pounds.

1 saddle of hare, boned, the bones reserved
1/4 lb. fresh fatback, cut into strips
5 Tbsp. Madeira
salt and pepper
1 leg of hare, boned, the meat finely
ground and the bones reserved
1 1/4 lb. fresh pork belly with the rind removed, finely ground
1/2 lb. boneless veal, finely ground
10 oz. boneless lean pork, finely ground
2 eggs
1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
mixed spices
gelatinous meat stock, made with the
hare bones and reduced until syrupy

1 pound short crust dough or rough puff
1 goose liver, trimmed, or 1/2 lb.
chicken livers, trimmed, cut into thin
1 or 2 truffles or large fresh
mushrooms, sliced
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten

Cut the saddle of hare into pieces the
length and breadth of two fingers. Cut
two of the fatback strips into small
slivers and use these to lard the
saddle. Place the larded saddle in a
bowl with 2 tablespoons of the Madeira
and some salt, pepper and paprika.
Marinate the saddle for one hour.

For the forcemeat, first mix together
the ground hare, pork belly, veal and
pork. Add the eggs, Cognac or brandy,
salt, mixed spices and enough stock to
make a smooth mixture. Fry a spoonful
and taste it for seasoning.

Roll out the dough and use two thirds of it to line a 2-quart loaf pan or ovenproof dish. Spread the base and sides of the mold with the forcemeat, then make layers of the marinated saddle, the forcemeat, fatback strips, goose liver and truffles or mushrooms.
Continue these layers, ending with
fatback strips. Cover with the remaining dough. Crimp the edges together. Cut one or two holes in the lid and insert parchment paper funnels. Decorate the pate with dough scraps and brush it with the beaten egg yolks. Bake it in a preheated 400 F. oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Cover the top with parchment paper if
the dough browns too quickly.

When the pate is cooked, add the
remaining Madeira through the paper
funnels. Once the pate has cooled
completely, refrigerate it.

Henriette Davidis
Praktisches kochbuch


To make about 3 quarts.

2 lb. veal hindshank
2 calf's feet, halved lengthwise and
blanched for 5 minutes
2 lb. chicken backs, necks and wing tips (use hare bones)
1/2 lb. fresh pork rind
5 quarts water (about)
1 bouquet garni, including leek and celery
1 garlic bulb
2 medium sized onions, 1 stuck with 2
whole cloves
4 large carrots

Place a round, metal pastry cutter or
trivet in the bottom of a large stockpot to prevent the ingredients from sticking. Fit all of the meat and chicken pieces into the pot, and add enough water to cover them by about 2 inches. Bring slowly to a boil and, with a slotted spoon, skim off the scum that rises. Keep skimming, occasionally adding a glass of cold water, until no scum rises--after 10 to 15 minutes.

Add the bouquet garni, garlic, onions
and carrots, and skim once more as the
liquid returns to a boil. Reduce the
heat to very low, cover the pot with the lid ajar, and simmer for four to five hours, skimming at intervals.

Ladle the stock into a colander lined
with several layers of dampened muslin
or cheesecloth and set over a large
bowl. Cool the strained stock, then
refrigerate it for 12 hours. When the
stock has set, spoon off the solidified
fat. Wipe off traces of fat with a towel dipped in water and squeezed dry.

If the stock is not as clear as desired, melt it over high heat. Add six lightly beaten egg whites and six crushed egg shells, and whisk constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook undisturbed until the egg white foam rises to the surface, then remove the pot from the heat. Let the stock settle for a minute or so, then boil it up two more times. Strain the stock through a cloth lined colander.

Tightly covered, the stock can safely be kept refrigerated for up to a week if brought to a boil every two days. Or, the stock may be melted and poured into freezer containers.


Depending on how much dough is required, the amounts specified in this recipe may be doubled or tripled. For pates, the chilled dough is usually rolled to a thickness of 1/4 to 1/3 inch.

To make about 1 pound dough.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
10 Tbsp. butter or 5 Tbsp. butter and 5
Tbsp. lard, chilled and cubed
1 small egg
cold water

Sift the flour and the salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the cubed butter and cut it into the flour with two knives until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
Break the egg into the bowl and stir
with a fork until it is absorbed by the
flour. Add cold water, one spoonful at a time, until the dough begins to cohere.

Knead the dough lightly, then gather it
into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic
wrap, foil or wax paper, and refrigerate it for at least one hour before rolling it out. The wrapped dough may be safely kept in the refrigerator for two or three days.


Depending on how much dough is required, the amounts specified in this recipe may be double or tripled. For pates, the chilled dough is usually rolled to a thickness of 1/4 to 1/3 inch.

To make about 1 pound.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
5 to 6 Tbsp. cold water

Sift the flour and salt into a mixing
bowl. Add the butter and, using two
table knives, rapidly cut it into the
flour until the butter is in tiny
pieces. Do not work the mixture for more than a few minutes. Add 2 Tablespoons of the water and, with a fork, quickly blend it into the flour and butter mixture. Add just enough of the rest of the water to allow you to gather the dough together into a firm ball with your hands. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap, foil or wax paper and refrigerate it for at least one hour, or put it in the freezer for 20 minutes until the surface is slightly frozen.

Place the dough on a cool, lightly
floured surface and smack it flat with a rolling pin. Turn the dough over to make sure that both sides are well floured, and rapidly roll out the dough into a rectangle about 12 inches long and 5 to
6 inches wide. Fold the two short ends
to meet each other in the center, then
fold again to align the folded edges.
Following the direction of the fold
lines, roll the dough into a rectangle
again, fold again in the same way,
rewrap the dough and refrigerate it for
at least 30 minutes. Repeat the process
two or three more times--letting the
dough rest in the refrigerator each
time--before using the dough. Tightly
wrapped, the dough can safely be kept in the refrigerator for two or three days.

Praktisches Kochbuch


NameEntered: Olga


E-Mail The Webmaster
© 1998-04The Kitchen Project 

Last updated October 11, 2004