Rhubarb Strawberry Compote
1. Make the Rhubarb compote with this recipe, only add 1 cup of Strawberries. Puree sauce
Making the Quarkschaum
3. If you don't have quark you can make a similar filling by rinsing cottage cheese. Do enough to make 1/2 cup. Puree cheese in blender or push through strainer.
4. Place milk in a stainless bowl that will fit on top of a 1 quart pan of simmering water. Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the vanilla seeds with a knife. Place seeds and vanilla pod in the milk and heat over double boiler for a few minutes to extract flavor into the milk. Then remove the pod.
5. Add 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar to the egg yolks in another bowl and blend in. Add the salt and cream of tartar to the egg whites and whip with electric beater till frothy. Then add the reserved powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time as you continue to whip until stiff. ,
6. Fold in the quark or pureed cottage cheese into the egg and milk custard, then Fold in the stiff beaten egg whites.
7. Put Quarkschaum on top of the compote. If in a wine glass brown the compote with a blow torch.
Serve with a mint sprig on the side. You can make this ahead of time and chill it.